The RomeRock Association, Inc. is a 1700-acre property owners association located in Roaming Shores in Ashtabula County, Ohio. It was established by the Roman Rock Corporation in 1966 as a result of the damming of Rock Creek by DSI in 1965.
When you purchase property in the Association (with or without a house) you automatically became a member of the RomeRock Association (RRA). Upon payment of all fees and the filing of required membership documents, you are then able to enjoy all RRA facilities.
The 550-acre man made Lake Roaming Rock of Roaming Shores is the largest private lake in Ohio. There are 2,189 residential lots and over 900 households. Many Members enjoy stable and growing property values, significant personal home occupancy rates, and residents who possess a high level of educational attainment. Roaming Shores is the most affluent community in Ashtabula County.
The RomeRock Association (RRA) is led by an elected seven-member Board of Directors who direct a year around staff of six and 20 to 25 summer seasonal employees. These individuals are responsible for maintaining roads; plowing snow; maintaining two pools, two beaches, dockage at the beaches, and the three-lane paved boat ramp; upkeep of 55 recreation lots, a 3500 sq. ft. clubhouse, 20 plus out-buildings and picnic pavilions, as well as maintenance of the Association’s baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and volleyball courts.
Additionally, the RRA has other responsibilities, which include maintaining the road shoulder berm, dozens of acres of open parklands, issuing permits for all watercraft on the lake, providing lake security, and directing the monumental task of lake management (e.g., water quality, dredging, controlling water level and fish population). Lake activity is of prime concern for the Association; members register hundreds of watercraft each year.
An additional governing body, The Village of Roaming Shores, was incorporated in 1979 in order to purchase the bankrupt Waste Water Treatment Plant.
The Village of Roaming Shores (RSV) is led by an elected six-member council and a mayor. It has seven full-time and five part-time employees (e.g., four part-time police officers and a part-time village administrator/zoning officer) who provide full-time law enforcement, zoning and building code enforcement, drinking water, waste water treatment, and operation and management of Lake Roaming Rock’s dam.
Roaming Shores’ central location in rural Ashtabula County offers tranquil living only one hour from Cleveland, Erie and Youngstown.
(Information and statistics provided by the RRA and RSV)
- Boating: 21-foot length limit on power boats with unlimited horsepower
28-foot length limit on pontoon boats
Temporary docking at Clubhouse, some recreational lots, main pool and main beach.
- Water Skiing: Absolutely the best private lake water skiing area in Ohio with a 7-mile ski loop.
- Fishing: Excellent population of large and smallmouth bass along with great fishing for crappie, silver and channel cat, perch and bluegill… all bolstered with an active stocking program by the Fishing Club.
- Swimming: 4 heated swimming pools (2 adult and 2 kiddy pools, all are heated) are available to all current members along with two lakeside sandy beaches. Well maintained restrooms are available at all beaches and pools. Changing rooms are available at both beaches and pool complexes.
- Golf Courses and Camping: There are several public courses. Four of them are within a 20 minute drive from the Shores. There are many nearby campgrounds. (Overnight camping is not permitted within Roaming Shores.)
- Sports: 2 Volleyball Courts, 4 Basketball, 2 Baseball Fields
The Ashtabula Mall is just 30 minutes away. In addition, throughout the area there is a diversity of shopping for all. Millcreek Mall in Erie, PA is 60 minutes away. Eastwood Mall in Niles, OH. is 45 minutes, and the Great Lakes Mall in Mentor, OH is 40 minutes from the Shores.