The winner of Early Bird Drawing #2 for 2019 and recipient of $450 is Peter Bolek (Lot #294)! Congratulations
Next week’s drawing will be for $400. The sooner your Dues & Assessments are paid in full, the more drawings you will be eligible for!
The Roaming Shores Polar Bear Plunge is moving to February this year. Are you brave enough to take the Plunge into the icy waters of Lake Roaming Rock to raise money for charity? This year’s Polar Bear Plunge event will begin at 1 pm on Saturday, February 23rd at the Roaming Shores Clubhouse/Main Beach. The actual plunge will begin at 3pm.
The Polar Bear Plunge will include brave students from Jefferson, Grand Valley and Pymatuning Valley Schools, as well as wild and crazy local area residents. Last year’s Polar Bear Plunge raised $7635 with 75 Plungers. We need your help to make this year’s event even more successful!
This year, the money we raise will be used to benefit the Jeff Meddock Memorial Scholarship, Jefferson Area Local Schools Academic Boosters, Grand Valley Schools student programs in memory of Emily Plickert, and the Roaming Shores Breakfast with Santa event.
Grand Valley Schools strives to improve student programs in the memory of Emily Plickert, a beloved cheerleader, classmate and friend to all.
Jeff Meddock was a resident of Roaming Shores and the beloved principal of Pymatuning Valley High School. He died unexpectedly and the money we raise helps to continue his pursuit to educate.
Both Jeff and Emily were very proud active members of The Polar Bear Club.
The Jefferson Academic Boosters strives to reward students for academic success. Also, a portion of the money we raise is also used to host the Roaming Shores Breakfast with Santa event.
If you are interested in taking the Plunge, a minimum of $55 must be raised. There is no age limit (minors will need parental consent). Each courageous person that takes that icy Plunge will get a t-shirt as a thank you for participating.
There will be a DJ and a 50/50 raffle! We’ll be serving hot dogs, chili, popcorn, chips and soda. Additional merchandise will be available for sale. You can purchase items before and/or after the plunge. First come, first serve.
For plunge participation forms and information, please visit or contact:
Facebook: Joey ThePolarBear
Gayle Zirkle, President
The Annual Fireworks Display is the highlight of the summer here in Roaming Shores. The show is funded by donations from our Membership. If the cost of the fireworks display cannot be met, there will sadly be no show, and a down payment needs to be made soon.
The STARS Club is in charge of organizing the display. Donations towards the Fireworks can be included with your Dues and Assessments, checks should be made out to the STARS Club. There is also a donation jar at the RRA Office.
If you’d like to make a donation directly to the STARS Club, they may be mailed to P.O. Box 417, Rock Creek, OH 44084.
Please seriously consider contributing towards the show!
Many thanks to our donors, past, present, and future!
The winners of Early Bird Drawing #1 for 2019 and recipient of $500 are David & Vickie Schupska (Lot #2203)! Congratulations!
Next week’s drawing will be for $450. The sooner your Dues & Assessments are paid in full, the more drawings you will be eligible for!
A celebrated tradition for over 60 years, the Progressive Cleveland Boat Show is where you can experience your summer fun to come! Formerly the Mid-America Boat Show, today’s Cleveland Boat Show reflects the excitement and growth of our great North Coast city along our Great Lake.
Show dates are January 17th – 21st at the IX Center.
Our own Roaming Rock Marina will be one of the Exhibitors at this show. The RRA will also be accompanying them to share information about our community. Be sure to check it out!
UPDATE: Issue has been resolved and the Ashtabula Co. 9-1-1 Center is back up. If you have an emergency you can call 911.
Ashtabula County EMA: Ashtabula Co 9-1-1 Center is experiencing a telephone outage. Residents are asked to call 440-576-0055 to report an emergency.
Now that the holidays are over, you may be wanting to part ways with your Christmas Tree.
Residents may dispose of their Christmas Trees (the real kind, obviously) at the Compost Site which is located on Route 6 across from Lake Vue Drive.
The site is locked. Keys may be picked up anytime the RRA Office is open Tuesday – Saturday, 8am to 6pm.
It’s almost Dues and Assessments time, once again. While not a very popular thing to receive in the mail, Dues and Assessments are a necessity to keep Association owned properties and facilities up and running for all approved members to use and enjoy! You will notice that the amount of assessments has been increased. This is the first permanent assessment increase since 2012.
Did your mailing address change in 2018? Please let the office know as soon as possible. You can leave a message at 440-563-3170 or email us at IT@roamingshores.org.
Dues and Assessments will be mailed out after the first of the year and need to be paid in full by May 1, 2019. You may pay your Dues and Assessments in installments, however, a late charge of 10% will be charged to the remaining balance after May 1st.
There are several different payment options available.
Bank Bill Pay:
Many banks offer their customer’s bill pay on their website. You can set the RomeRock Association as a payee. If you use this option to pay your Dues, please make sure that your lot number(s) are listed on the check (you can set your account number to your lot number(s)).
You can send your payment via US Mail to P.O. Box 8, Rome, OH 44085. Checks and credit cards/debit cards are accepted. (If paying by credit/debit card please use form on the back of the return portion of your statement, there is a 5% fee).
Checks, credit cards/debit cards and cash are accepted at our office location (1875 US Highway 6). There is a 5% convenience fee for credit/debit cards. Our office hours until mid-April are Tuesday – Saturday, 8am – 6pm. You may also use our dropbox located on the front porch. The box is under video surveillance and emptied daily.
The RomeRock Association offers owners the ability to pay dues online through our payment processing partner, PayLease. Using PayLease will allow you to pay online with a credit/debit card or electronic check**. You can make a one-time or recurring payment.
Visit the RRA Website and click the button on the sidebar (bottom of news posts for mobile users) that says “Pay Dues and Assessments Online”. Direct Page (https://www.roamingshores.org/RRA1/pay-dues-and-assessments-online/) or visit PayLease.com.
Follow the instructions to search for and select your property. Enter your contact information and a password to create your account. Your account number is your lot number and it must be 4 digits. Ex. Lot 123 would be 0123.
To add additional lots, under Manage Accounts (middle of screen), click Add Account, under link another account—put in your account number (4 digits) then type @RRA right after the number, then your last name, and then Submit.
Once registered, you can process a one-time payment and/or set up Auto Pay. If you set up an account previously, please use your same login information. If you forgot your credentials, select “Forgot Your Password”.
**Note: There is a fee accessed for paying online. 3% is charged for using a credit card/debit card and $2.95 for an electronic check (note: electronic checks differ from personal checks. Personal checks can be mailed or paid in-person without a fee). PayLease assesses a fee for each account (lot).
If you have questions regarding your account balance, please contact The RomeRock Association at 440-563-3170. For questions regarding PayLease or your online payments, please contact PayLease Support at 1-866-729-5327.
Early Bird Drawing
The RRA will again be holding an Early Bird Drawing for those who pay their Dues & Assessments in full early.
Each account paid in full before 5pm each Thursday between January 10th and March 14th will be eligible for weekly drawings for cash prizes. These prizes start at $500 per week until the award for March 14th becomes $50. Good luck!
Pay your total RRA balance, AT ONE TIME, as soon as possible. Winner chosen will be returned to the box for the later drawings. The sooner your Dues & Assessments are paid in full, the more drawings you will be eligible for!
If you pay by PayLease, when we are notified that your full payment has been processed, we will then enter you into the contest. We are not notified instantaneously.
- The year began with wicked winter storms and freezing temperatures.
- The freezing temperatures burst pipes in several homes, highlighting the importance of proper winterization.
- The Village received bids for trash service in the Shores with Waste Management being the lowest bidder.
- Friends and Neighbors began its Winter Dinner Nights.
The RRA purchased a boom mower to tackle overgrowth in the berms on its 20+ miles of roads.
- WinterFest was scaled down to a Winter Movie event due to lack of help and interest. The event also managed to scare away winter weather (for that week, at least) 😉
- Rick Brothers was appointed to the Board of Directors.
- A male was spotted going into the north end of the lake and not re-emerging. Emergency services were not able to locate the individual.
- March came in like a lion with a winter storm with high winds that knocked out power to much of the Shores.
- Roaming Shores welcomed a new Police Chief, Will Roskos.
- So-called “flushable” wipes wreaked havoc on the Village’s Utility dept’s equipment, urging residents to discontinue their use.
- 3 candidates ran for 2 open seats on the Board of Directors.
- 75 Plungers raised $7,635 during the 13th Annual Polar Bear Plunge.
- Winter dragged on dumping more snow and cold temperatures across the region.
- We learned that ODOT planned to close and replace the bridge on Route 45 that crossed Rock Creek.
- Clay Beck joined the RSPD as its new Sergeant.
- The RRA held its Annual Meeting.
- Dave Emick was re-elected to the Board, joined by newcomer Rory Marshall.
- Due to its instructor moving and being unable to find a qualified replacement, swim lessons were regrettably discontinued.
- The STARS Club held its 1st Winery Bus Tour. The event was such a success that future tours were planned.
- Friends & Neighbors hosted their first Potluck Supper of the year.
- The Village hosted another successful Cleanup Day and Expo.
- The Men’s and Ladies Golf Leagues kicked off their seasons.
- Lake Management began their lake water testing program for the year.
- The Pools and Concession Stand opened for another season.
- The Fishing Club had a very busy month hosting their first tournament of the year, Kids Learn to Fish Day, a Rummage Sale, and Kids Fishing Day.
- The Annual Community Garage Sale was blessed with perfect weather.
- The Village began its “Monster” water line relocation project.
- Due to a resignation on the Board of Directors, the Board held interviews and eventually filled the vacancy with Louise Lisac.
- The Village began selling address signs for use on docks and mailboxes. The signs are still available at the Village Hall for $10.
- Due to the timing of July 4th being in the middle of the week, Independence Day festivities were held the weekend of July 30th.
- 73 runners participated in the STARS Club 1st Roaming Shores 5K.
- The Roaming Shores Police Department held a Cardboard Boat Race.
- The Annual Jason Scribben Memorial Volleyball Tournament was held at Beach 1.
- The Fireworks Display capped off another amazing weekend!
- Low ticket sales cancelled this year’s STARS Reverse Raffle.
- Berkshire-Hathaway opened a new lakefront office at the Marina.
- Story Hour began at Beach 1.
- The Board of Directors introduced an Early Dues payment option for Members.
- The bridge on Route 45 in Rock Creek reopened.
- RSPD held its 1st Annual Golf Scramble.
- The STARS Club held another successful Winery Bus Tour.
- The Fishing Club hosted another fun Ed Baitt’s Mixed Couples Tournament.
- An informational dredging presentation was given at the Clubhouse. This lead to the creation of a Dredging Advisory Committee.
- A very sunny and hot summer increased the bacteria count in the lake.
- RSPD welcomed Officer Dejan Robinson to the Department.
- We reached the end of the summer season for the pools and concession stand.
- The STARS Club hosted a Wine Tasting Presentation with John Pallo presenting.
- A new group, the RomeRock Emergency Preparedness Citizens Group, was formed.
- After 9 years, Kevin Grippi resigned as the Administrator of Roaming Shores Village.
- The Fishing Club held its Annual Fish Fry.
- A Zumba course began in the Shores held at Paradise Bay.
- The Fishing Club held its Annual Clam Bake.
- The Village’s water line relocation project wrapped up.
- It was a cold, wet Halloween, but the ghosts and goblins had fun trick-or-treating.
- RSPD held a costume contest during the Halloween Happening.
- The lake was lowered for the season.
- The STARS Club held a Dinner in the Wine Cave and Grand River Cellars.
- Carl Reike joined the Village of Roaming Shores as its new Administrator.
- The STARS Club held a Holiday Winery Bus Tour.
- RSPD held a Can the Cruiser event filling 2 cruisers with goods and raising $482.53 for those in need.
- Friends & Neighbors held a Tree Trimming Social Hour at the Clubhouse.
- The Polar Bear Club hosted the Annual Breakfast with Santa.
- The RSPD replaced two of its aging cruisers.
Remembering those we lost this year…
- Mary Jane Wollam
- Doris Hess
- Tom Skarlinsky
- Constance (Connie) Gerez
- John Turkovich
- Marlene Swanek
- James Griffin
- Cherie Sbrocco
- Robert VanDevender
- Gary Maznik
- Dorthy Campany
- Peter Bogardus
- Jim Nevins
- Delois “Toni” Marshall
- Dakotah Traven
- Susan True
- Maralyn Brommer
- Joseph Miller
- Betty Fain
- Richard Jackson
- Wayne Newland
- Larry Smith
- Karl Hohman
Looking towards 2019
2018 was a big year full of fun and full of changes. We will see what the new year brings as we march forward!
Our clubs will see the return of many of your favorite events as well as some new ones! For 2019, the STARS Club plans to hold a Taco Night and a Rib Cookoff. Details as the dates draw near!
Planned 2019 Events:
- Jan 11th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- Feb 8th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- Feb 23rd – Polar Bear Plunge – Polar Bear Club
- March 8th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- April 12th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- April 27th – RRA Annual Meeting
- May 4th – Cleanup Day
- May 4th – Ladies Golf Kickoff Brunch
- May 10th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- May 11th – Cub Scouts Crossover Ceremony
- May 25th – Pools & Concession Stand Open for Season
- May 25th – Don Williams All Species Tournament – Fishing Club
- June 8th – Kids Learn to Fish Day – Fishing Club
- June 14th & 15th – Annual Community Garage Sale
- June 15th – Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- June 22nd – Kids Fishing Day – Fishing Club
- July 6th – Roaming Shores 5K – STARS
- July 6th – Cardboard Boat Races – RSPD
- July 6th – Jason Scribben Volleyball Tournament
- July 6th – Fireworks – STARS
- July 7th – Fireworks Rain Date
- July 12th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- July 13th – Jack Cone All Species Tournament – Fishing Club
- July 20th – Taco Night – STARS
- August 9th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- August 10th – Ed Baitt’s Memorial Couples Tournament – Fishing Club
- August 17th – Rib Cookoff – STARS
- Sept 2nd – Final Day for Pools & Concession Stand
- Sept 21st – Dean Blanton Bass Tournament – Fishing Club
- Sept 21st – Wine Tasting – STARS
- Oct 5th – Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- Oct 19th – Clam Bake – Fishing Club
- Oct 26th – Trick or Treating + Halloween Happening
- Nov 9th – Holiday Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- Dec 6th – Tree Trimming – Friends & Neighbors
- Dec 14th – Breakfast with Santa – Polar Bear Club
Girl Scouts, Water Aerobics, Men’s & Woman’s Golf Leagues, the Quilting Group, & Shores Hold’em hold regular meetings. See the RRA website for details. The success of our Clubs depends on the participation of our membership either as participants or organizers! If you’ve ever had an event or activity idea… or would just like to help out, consider joining a Club! Looking forward to a great new year!
See you in 2019!