This Year in Roaming Shores 2018
As another year comes to a close, we stop to take a look back at the year that was. Welcome to our 2018 Year in Review! We’ve had another whirlwind of a year!
- The year began with wicked winter storms and freezing temperatures.
- The freezing temperatures burst pipes in several homes, highlighting the importance of proper winterization.
- The Village received bids for trash service in the Shores with Waste Management being the lowest bidder.
- Friends and Neighbors began its Winter Dinner Nights.
The RRA purchased a boom mower to tackle overgrowth in the berms on its 20+ miles of roads.
- WinterFest was scaled down to a Winter Movie event due to lack of help and interest. The event also managed to scare away winter weather (for that week, at least) 😉
- Rick Brothers was appointed to the Board of Directors.
- A male was spotted going into the north end of the lake and not re-emerging. Emergency services were not able to locate the individual.
- March came in like a lion with a winter storm with high winds that knocked out power to much of the Shores.
- Roaming Shores welcomed a new Police Chief, Will Roskos.
- So-called “flushable” wipes wreaked havoc on the Village’s Utility dept’s equipment, urging residents to discontinue their use.
- 3 candidates ran for 2 open seats on the Board of Directors.
- 75 Plungers raised $7,635 during the 13th Annual Polar Bear Plunge.
- Winter dragged on dumping more snow and cold temperatures across the region.
- We learned that ODOT planned to close and replace the bridge on Route 45 that crossed Rock Creek.
- Clay Beck joined the RSPD as its new Sergeant.
- The RRA held its Annual Meeting.
- Dave Emick was re-elected to the Board, joined by newcomer Rory Marshall.
- Due to its instructor moving and being unable to find a qualified replacement, swim lessons were regrettably discontinued.
- The STARS Club held its 1st Winery Bus Tour. The event was such a success that future tours were planned.
- Friends & Neighbors hosted their first Potluck Supper of the year.
- The Village hosted another successful Cleanup Day and Expo.
- The Men’s and Ladies Golf Leagues kicked off their seasons.
- Lake Management began their lake water testing program for the year.
- The Pools and Concession Stand opened for another season.
- The Fishing Club had a very busy month hosting their first tournament of the year, Kids Learn to Fish Day, a Rummage Sale, and Kids Fishing Day.
- The Annual Community Garage Sale was blessed with perfect weather.
- The Village began its “Monster” water line relocation project.
- Due to a resignation on the Board of Directors, the Board held interviews and eventually filled the vacancy with Louise Lisac.
- The Village began selling address signs for use on docks and mailboxes. The signs are still available at the Village Hall for $10.
- Due to the timing of July 4th being in the middle of the week, Independence Day festivities were held the weekend of July 30th.
- 73 runners participated in the STARS Club 1st Roaming Shores 5K.
- The Roaming Shores Police Department held a Cardboard Boat Race.
- The Annual Jason Scribben Memorial Volleyball Tournament was held at Beach 1.
- The Fireworks Display capped off another amazing weekend!
- Low ticket sales cancelled this year’s STARS Reverse Raffle.
- Berkshire-Hathaway opened a new lakefront office at the Marina.
- Story Hour began at Beach 1.
- The Board of Directors introduced an Early Dues payment option for Members.
- The bridge on Route 45 in Rock Creek reopened.
- RSPD held its 1st Annual Golf Scramble.
- The STARS Club held another successful Winery Bus Tour.
- The Fishing Club hosted another fun Ed Baitt’s Mixed Couples Tournament.
- An informational dredging presentation was given at the Clubhouse. This lead to the creation of a Dredging Advisory Committee.
- A very sunny and hot summer increased the bacteria count in the lake.
- RSPD welcomed Officer Dejan Robinson to the Department.
- We reached the end of the summer season for the pools and concession stand.
- The STARS Club hosted a Wine Tasting Presentation with John Pallo presenting.
- A new group, the RomeRock Emergency Preparedness Citizens Group, was formed.
- After 9 years, Kevin Grippi resigned as the Administrator of Roaming Shores Village.
- The Fishing Club held its Annual Fish Fry.
- A Zumba course began in the Shores held at Paradise Bay.
- The Fishing Club held its Annual Clam Bake.
- The Village’s water line relocation project wrapped up.
- It was a cold, wet Halloween, but the ghosts and goblins had fun trick-or-treating.
- RSPD held a costume contest during the Halloween Happening.
- The lake was lowered for the season.
- The STARS Club held a Dinner in the Wine Cave and Grand River Cellars.
- Carl Reike joined the Village of Roaming Shores as its new Administrator.
- The STARS Club held a Holiday Winery Bus Tour.
- RSPD held a Can the Cruiser event filling 2 cruisers with goods and raising $482.53 for those in need.
- Friends & Neighbors held a Tree Trimming Social Hour at the Clubhouse.
- The Polar Bear Club hosted the Annual Breakfast with Santa.
- The RSPD replaced two of its aging cruisers.
Remembering those we lost this year…
- Mary Jane Wollam
- Doris Hess
- Tom Skarlinsky
- Constance (Connie) Gerez
- John Turkovich
- Marlene Swanek
- James Griffin
- Cherie Sbrocco
- Robert VanDevender
- Gary Maznik
- Dorthy Campany
- Peter Bogardus
- Jim Nevins
- Delois “Toni” Marshall
- Dakotah Traven
- Susan True
- Maralyn Brommer
- Joseph Miller
- Betty Fain
- Richard Jackson
- Wayne Newland
- Larry Smith
- Karl Hohman
Looking towards 2019
2018 was a big year full of fun and full of changes. We will see what the new year brings as we march forward!
Our clubs will see the return of many of your favorite events as well as some new ones! For 2019, the STARS Club plans to hold a Taco Night and a Rib Cookoff. Details as the dates draw near!
Planned 2019 Events:
- Jan 11th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- Feb 8th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- Feb 23rd – Polar Bear Plunge – Polar Bear Club
- March 8th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- April 12th – Winter Dinner Night – Friends & Neighbors
- April 27th – RRA Annual Meeting
- May 4th – Cleanup Day
- May 4th – Ladies Golf Kickoff Brunch
- May 10th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- May 11th – Cub Scouts Crossover Ceremony
- May 25th – Pools & Concession Stand Open for Season
- May 25th – Don Williams All Species Tournament – Fishing Club
- June 8th – Kids Learn to Fish Day – Fishing Club
- June 14th & 15th – Annual Community Garage Sale
- June 15th – Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- June 22nd – Kids Fishing Day – Fishing Club
- July 6th – Roaming Shores 5K – STARS
- July 6th – Cardboard Boat Races – RSPD
- July 6th – Jason Scribben Volleyball Tournament
- July 6th – Fireworks – STARS
- July 7th – Fireworks Rain Date
- July 12th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- July 13th – Jack Cone All Species Tournament – Fishing Club
- July 20th – Taco Night – STARS
- August 9th – Potluck Supper – Friends & Neighbors
- August 10th – Ed Baitt’s Memorial Couples Tournament – Fishing Club
- August 17th – Rib Cookoff – STARS
- Sept 2nd – Final Day for Pools & Concession Stand
- Sept 21st – Dean Blanton Bass Tournament – Fishing Club
- Sept 21st – Wine Tasting – STARS
- Oct 5th – Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- Oct 19th – Clam Bake – Fishing Club
- Oct 26th – Trick or Treating + Halloween Happening
- Nov 9th – Holiday Winery Bus Tour – STARS
- Dec 6th – Tree Trimming – Friends & Neighbors
- Dec 14th – Breakfast with Santa – Polar Bear Club
Girl Scouts, Water Aerobics, Men’s & Woman’s Golf Leagues, the Quilting Group, & Shores Hold’em hold regular meetings. See the RRA website for details. The success of our Clubs depends on the participation of our membership either as participants or organizers! If you’ve ever had an event or activity idea… or would just like to help out, consider joining a Club! Looking forward to a great new year!
See you in 2019!