President’s Comments

Association Meeting Highlights – May 2015

By Tom Sopko, Secretary

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on May 7, 2015 with all Directors present. (Note that the Board was one Director short, explained later.)

President, Dell Rodgers, spoke in the President’s Comments about:

  1. The successful Village Trash Day and the successful Village Expo. Both were well attended. Dell thanked the Mayor and Council of Roaming Shores.
  2. For our Board election only one person was running for two spots: Tom Sopko was elected. We will be filling the extra seat tonight.
  3. The Association was represented at the OLCA meeting held at Lake Choctaw. A key item of discussion was on the fact that the Association is subject to the Fair Housing Laws and Regulations. Sunshine Laws do not apply to the Association.
  4. There will be an Executive Meeting after this meeting that deals with a legal issue and an administrative issue.
  5. Dredging will not begin until after preparation for Memorial Day and winter cleanup are completed.

Secretary, Tom Sopko, spoke in the Director’s Comments about Lake Choctaw, location of the OCLA Meeting. Those comments are available on the Association website.

The minutes of the April 2, 2015 Regular Meeting were accepted.

The minutes of the Reorganizational Meeting were accepted. This meeting established Dell Rogers as President, Jim Swartz as Vice President, John Martin as Treasurer, and Tom Sopko as Secretary.

Treasurer, John Martin, delivered the April 2015 Treasurer’s Report and the report was accepted.

Maintenance Manager, Dan Mullins, delivered the maintenance summary:

  1. The maintenance crew completed the winter clean up and are doing some pothole repair.
  2. Our workboat and push boat have been launched in the water and the Security Boat is having some minor engine work completed before it is launched.
  3. The lake buoys have been installed and some logs have been removed from the lake.
  4. We did some landscaping at the clubhouse, and are opening outdoor bathrooms and have started preparing the pools for the Memorial Day weekend opening.
  5. We are planning on having the dredge barges in the water this week.
  6. We completed some modifications to our winches and deck which enable us to move the winches without having to enter inside the barge.

Reports of Standing Committees:

  1. Lake Management: Tim Langer spoke about the sediment committee’s last meeting April 16. The committee will be having different articles written. There is a spring brochure completed. They will be visiting a private lake aeration system. The next meeting is May 21.
  2. Village Liaison: Jim Swartz talked about the RS police having a new vehicle.
  3. Building & Facilities: Jim Swartz pointed out that bids are out for architectural plans for a new office building. The building of a new office is just one of the options being considered; no decision has been made.

Club Reports:

  1. Fishing: June 28 Kid’s Fishing Day; 40th Anniversary of the Fishing Club; 60 members so far, down from 70; June 20 Kid’s learn to fish day.
  2. Friends & Neighbors-Dinner May 15, 2015 6 PM at the Clubhouse, RSVP by Thursday.

Old Business: none

New Business:

Dave Emick was elected to fill the vacant Board Seat. This brings the Board to full strength at seven Directors.

The Water Aerobics Group was voted in as a new club. This club is subject to the Fair Housing Laws requiring that the club be gender and age neutral and not limiting pool use except as to the pool capacity. A MOTION was made to start the new club by Tom Sopko. Seconded by Ed Baitt. All Directors approved.

Member’s Comments:

  1. Property Owner #1133 – thanked the Board for approving Water Aerobics Group.
  2. Property Owner #1133 – question on dredging.

The Meeting was adjourned at 8:49 pm.

Annual Member’s Meeting Highlights

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors held the Annual Meeting of Active Members on April 25, 2015 at the Clubhouse with all Directors present as well as 65 Members.

Board President, Dell Rogers, welcomed the Active Members and introduced the Directors. Rick Gainar, Secretary, certified the service of notice for the April 25, 2015, Meeting of the Members of RomeRock Association, Inc. and acknowledged the addition of 53 new Members during 2014. Treasurer, John Martin, described a financially healthy association with assets worth almost $2 million and liabilities reduced by $125k during 2014 due to debt reduction. However, our cash reserve, targeted at $200k, dropped to $155k due to the purchase of the bulldozer.

Dell reviewed 2014 activities including, mechanical dredging equipment purchases, a lawsuit, condemned RRA Office building, Clubhouse repairs, Calendar Road culvert project, cell phone tower, scheduled audit, new collections agency, and significant savings due to in-house equipment repairs. Several Members asked questions on expense of the voting process, recycling program, lawsuit update, use of cell tower income, demolition of old RRA Office building, hope for a cleaner lake, and a suggestion to allow fire department to practice by burning old RRA Office building. Major future expenses, according to Dell, include roads, replacement RRA Office building, Clubhouse floor, replacement weed harvester, dredging operations and legal activities for the lawsuit.

Mary Lencse reported that the Ballot Counting Committee counted 134 ballots of which 9 were invalid ballots. Tom Sopko unanimously won the uncontested election.

Carol Delly reported on the Promotion Club’s activities including the July 4th firework program. Marge Morris reminded us of the May 15 Friends & Neighbors potluck dinner at the Clubhouse while Dave Emick, our Fishing Club’s Vice President, described the clubs activities and celebration of the Club’s 40th Anniversary. Debbie Bain announced the May 2 kickoff lunch for the Ladies Golf Club.

Rick Gainar and Tim Langer presented the Lake Management Committee’s plans for 2015, the 2015 Dredge Plan and the Sediment/Nutrient Control Plan for the year.   Sediment/Nutrient Control Committee Chairman Tim Langer reported on his committee’s activities to encourage residents to consider minor household changes that have significant positive effects on our lake’s water quality. Residents were also asked to support his committee’s efforts to encourage our elected state representatives to take action that limits the excess nutrients and sediment from entering our streams and lake from our watershed.

The meeting was officially adjourned at 2:10pm, but Members were invited to stay and visit the booths on Lake Management and the Fishing Club and to enjoy pizza (from Paradise Bay) and snacks (cookies from Cantini’s Village Market). Committee members and Directors stayed for another hour to answer all questions and hear Member comments. A great meeting!

Association Meeting Highlights – Apr 2015

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on April 2, 2015 with all Directors present except Ron Morris (vacation). Fourteen residents were also in attendance.
Board President, Dell Rogers, warned early boaters of ice that may float beneath the water surface. He asked for candidates to fill an open Board seat and discussed the RRA safety policy regarding the wearing of floatation vests and hard hats for employees when working on water. Dell announced his intention to seek Board approval to set the pool hours of operation at 10AM to 9PM starting this summer and invites interested Members to comment later in the meeting. The Board is aware of a group of ladies who use the east pool for an exercise class from 9AM to 10AM and, to reduce costs, asks they delay start until 10AM. Dell announced that the Board hired Kaman & Cusimano, LLC to help with our collection of bad debts. Also, an auditing firm is being selected to perform an audit of RRA finances this fall.

Maintenance Director Dan Mullins reported that snow plowing and road maintenance consumed much of their time last month. This year the pool houses and outside buildings made it through the winter without damage due to freezing. The roadside debris and potholes are now being addressed. The Maintenance Department finished painting the bulldozer and it looks brand new.

Lake Management Sub-Committee Chairman Tim Langer reported on his committee’s activities to encourage residents to consider minor household changes that have significant positive effects on our lake’s water quality. Residents will also be asked to support his committee’s efforts to convince our elected state representatives to take action that limits the excess nutrients and sediment from entering our streams and lake from our watershed. Village Liaison John Ball, RSV Mayor, reminded us to mark our calendars for the May 2 Spring Clean-up Day and Vendor Expo ’15. Building & Facilities Committee Chairman Jim Swartz described his committee’s search for an architect for building design plans in order to proceed with his committee’s investigation of a permanent RRA Office.

In the Club Reports section of the meeting, Tom Sopko reminded us of this month’s Friends & Neighbors winter dinner at Pasta Oven on April 17 at 6:00pm. This year’s first meeting of the Fishing Club will be on April 6 at the Clubhouse.

The Member Comments section of the meeting included several Members’ comments on their interest in retaining the 9:00AM pool start for their exercise session as well as the late 10:00PM closing. Comments also included an objection to the financial need for the early-bird lottery, information concerning results of the Board’s executive sessions, easement for re-routed sewage pipes, and method of payment for the collection firm. The meeting was adjourned at 9:05pm. The Annual Meeting of Active Members of the Association will be April 25 at the Clubhouse and the Association Board’s next regular meeting will be on May 7. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – March 2015

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on March 5, 2015 with all Directors present. Eight residents were also in attendance.

Dell Rogers discussed this year’s poor road conditions due to weather and asked residents to call the RRA Office if they spot unsafe conditions. There is a single candidate running for one of the two open Board of Director positions this year. Even so, ballots will be mailed as usual until the Board can amend the By-laws to find a better way to deal with such a unique event in the future. The Board will appoint and interim Director to fill the last position. The Board thanked Rick Gainar for his service to the Board and the community. Dell announced his intention to seek Board approval to set the pool hours of operation at 10AM to 9PM starting this summer and invites interested Members to comment at the next Board meeting.

Tom Sopko introduced Katherine Bushey, an attorney with Kaman & Cusimano, LLC specializing in bad debt collections. Ms. Bushey met with the Board earlier to discuss her firm’s ability and procedures and how it could help the Association collecting bad debts.

Maintenance Director Dan Mullins reported that work fabricating wings for the new bulldozer has been completed. These wings will allow the bulldozer to more efficiently handle the soupy dredge materials at our Crosby-Cook property where lake sediment removed in our dredging operations this summer will be dried and stored. The repair of Clubhouse kitchen was also completed. Two more plow pump failures were repaired in-house getting our plows quickly back on the road. Dan asked residents to be careful of the winter’s rippling effect on our roads due to extreme cold weather.

Lake Management Sub-Committee Chairman Tim Langer reported on his committee’s activities to encourage residents to consider minor household changes that have significant positive effects on our lake’s water quality. Residents will also be asked to support his committee’s efforts to convince our elected state representatives to take action that limits the excess nutrients and sediment from entering our streams and lake from our watershed. Village Liaison John Ball, RSV Mayor, reported that the lake drain will be opened again at the Association’s request due to expected ice melt at week’s end. Also the Village Council is working to hire a new police officer. Building & Facilities Committee Chairman Jim Swartz announced another work session meeting on 3/6. Jim’s committee also plans to meet soon with an architect for building design plans in order to proceed with his committee’s investigation of a permanent RRA Office.

In the Club Reports section of the meeting, Ron Morris reminded us of this month’s Friends & Neighbors winter dinner at Clay St. Grill on March 20 at 6:00pm.

A question was raised during the Member Comments section of the meeting regarding whether an appointed interim director is first required to attend three Board meetings (no such requirement). The meeting was adjourned at 8:20pm. The Association Board’s next meeting will be on April 2. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – Feb 2015

Association Meeting Highlights
by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on February 5, 2015 with all Directors present. Clerk Pat Sowry was absent. Eight residents were also in attendance.

Dell Rogers thanked Mayor John Ball for keeping the lake drain open as much as possible so far during the winter which we believe saved more than a few docks from ice damage last month. Also thanks to Maintenance Director Dan Mullins and his crew for their extraordinary efforts keeping our roads clear of snow despite a series of mechanical breakdowns. Rogers reminded residents that it is their responsibility to clear snow from their mailboxes and any nearby fire hydrants.

Tom Sopko commented on our efforts to collect bad debt including his plans to have Kaman & Cusimano LLC, a law firm specializing in collections, make a presentation to the Board. Dell Rogers asked residents who might know persons interested in the upcoming Sheriff’s Sale of foreclosed properties in Roaming Shores to consider unpaid taxes, dues, utilities and other fees due in addition to the purchase price. Many times Sheriff Sale properties fall right back into foreclosure when these additional fees that exceed the purchase price are discovered.

Maintenance Director Dan Mullins reported on work fabricating wings for the new bulldozer, repair of Clubhouse kitchen, repair of Clubhouse gas leak, brake replacement, and truck pump replacement. The snow has been very heavy and took its toll on one truck that had a transmission failure and is being repaired with a heavy-duty transmission. Mullins asks that residents watch for plow trucks at intersections and keep garbage cans off the roadway. He also asked that residents remind their snow removal contractors not to push snow across the road that leaves dangerous ruts in the road.

Budget & Finance Committee Member John Martin obtained a preliminary bid from an accounting firm for our planned audit, last done 6-7 years ago. Costs are expected in the $3-4K range. Safety Committee Member Ron Morris warned that snowmobiles might again become interested in illegally driving on our ice-covered lake. He warns of many soft spots and springs that make the ice dangerous. Lake Management Sub-Committee Chairman Tim Langer reported on the Committee’s regular “Be Lake Responsible” articles appearing in the Shores News and e-blasts, work on a spring brochure, and planned promotional items containing the “Love the Lake” logo for exceptional work by residents interested in improving our lake’s water quality. Village Liaison Bob Cook, Council President, reported that the lake drain will be opened again soon due to expected ice melt at week’s end. Also the dam gate has been installed. Building & Facilities Committee Chairman Jim Swartz would like John Martin to join his committee. We will need an architect to design plan in order to proceed with his committee’s investigation of a permanent RRA Office.

In the Club Reports section of the meeting, Ron Morris reminded of the Friends & Neighbors winter dinner at Pasta Oven (BYOB) on February 13 at 6:00pm.

There were no Member Comments and the meeting was adjourned at 8:20pm. The Association Board’s next meeting will be on March 5. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – Jan 2015

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on January 8, 2015 with all Directors present. Maintenance Director Dan Mullins and Clerk Pat Sowry were absent. Seven residents were also in attendance.

Dell Rogers reported to dispel a couple of rumors. First, the Board is not raising dues this year and is, in fact, lowering boat fees to previous levels. Association income is sufficient to meet our foreseeable needs. Also, the lawsuit against your Association brought by members of Neighbors for a Better Roaming Shores, Pat Long, Barry O’Connell, and Joe Petraus has not been dropped. While little progress is currently made, the lawsuit remains active and funding for your Association’s defense is contained in the budget. On other matters, you may have noticed work being done in the Clubhouse kitchen. Maintenance employees noticed that earlier workers trimmed some ceiling beams to install lighting and failed to install plasterboard as required by code for safety. Those issues are now being corrected.

The Lake Management Committee Chairman Rick Gainar commented on the end of this year’s Water Testing Program. Tim Langer reported on the Committee’s regular “Be Lake Responsible” articles appearing in the Shores News and e-blasts, work on a spring brochure, and planned promotional items containing the “Love the Lake” logo for exceptional work by residents interested in improving our lake’s water quality.

Village Liaison Jim Swartz reported on Commissioner Dan Claypool’s presentation to Village Council on recycling and the fact that while state agencies require specific recycling efforts in Ashtabula, they failed to fund them.

Ron Morris reminded of the Friends & Neighbors winter dinner at Paradise Bay on January 9, at 6:00pm. On the Fishing Club, Ed Baitt hopes all will keep Marge Emick in their prayers.

As required in the By-Laws, Director Rick Gainar declared his possible conflict of interest to the Board as he is related to (nephew) Ronald Gainar, proprietor of Lake Erie Tower Corporation. He stated he would abstain from all future voting and meeting discussions on this matter. All disinterested Directors present accepted this declaration.

Representatives from Lake Erie Tower Corporation, Ronald A. Gainar & Kristina Klouda, answered the Board and Member questions concerning their proposal to rent land at the Association’s Crosby-Cook property to build a 200’-250’ telephone tower, expected to improve cell communications in Roaming Shores. Ron expects the tower to be initially used by AT&T and Verizon followed probably by Sprint and T-Mobile. Rental income to the Association would be $1,000/mo for the first 5 years. Ron is a Member of Roaming Shores and owns a house near the Marina Cove.

There were no Member Comments and the meeting was adjourned at 8:07pm. The Association Board’s next meeting will be on February 5. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – Dec 2014

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on December 4, 2014 with all Directors present. Seven residents were also in attendance.
President Dell Rogers reported that, to date, the Board has worked within the 2014 budget. Major projects affecting spending were lake dredging, O’Connell/Petraus/Long et. al. lawsuit, move to a temporary office, road surface paving, and upgrade of the Crosby-Cook property. Rick Gainar corrected his Association Meeting Highlights article in the December 2014 issue of the Shores News where dredge cost units of “ft3” should have been “yd3”.

Maintenance Director, Dan Mullins, reported Snow plowing and road clearing consumed much of our maintenance department’s time last month. He has not been able to work on land-based dredging due to weather and water level conditions. Winterizing and modifications of the new bulldozer and a brake installation job on the Chevy Trailblazer were also completed last month. Dan reported that the Owl Pointe and Callander Road drainage projects were performing successfully so far.

The Lake Management Committee’s Tim Langer reported on the Sediment & Nutrient Control Subcommittee’s “Be Lake Responsible” articles in the Shores News and e-blasts. These articles are authored by residents and LMC members and designed as hints and easy things to do to limit entry of sediment and nutrients into our lake. The ‘Love the Lake’ logo will identify these articles.
Ron Morris reminded us of the Promotion Club’s Tree Trimming social on 12/5 at the Clubhouse. Ed Baitt reports that so far there was no loss of fish from the Fishing Club’s introduction of $500 worth of perch into Flame Lake.

In the business segment of the meeting, Ed Baitt’s motion to purchase a used pontoon boat trailer remained tabled. Rick Gainar’s motion to nominate Tim Langer as chairman of the Lake Sediment & Nutrient Control Subcommittee, replacing Dell Rogers passed with all Directors voting in favor. Congratulations Tim! The January Board of Directors January Meeting date was changed to January 8 due the holiday.

Member comments and questions included a discussion about the RSV’s annual payment to the RRA for road maintenance, the 2015 boat fee reduction, and what conditions are necessary for land-based dredging at this time of year.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm. Association Board’s next meeting will be on January 8. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – Nov 2014

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on November 6, 2014 with all Directors present except Ron Morris. Approximately 12 residents were also in attendance.

President Dell Rogers reminded us of the joint RRA/RSV meeting is scheduled for November 11, 2014 at 7:00PM at the Village Hall. The lake lowering process was started and the Plum Creek dredge training was successfully completed. A cost of $5.92/ft3 of silt removed during the training period was calculated, which is significantly lower that our original estimates. Our dredge plan will require dredge to stay at least 30 feet from any dock where possible. The indemnification provision of our by-laws provides for the Association to fund legal council for Directors. Funding for legal expenses for any lawsuit may require loss of reserve and/or a new assessment. Contrary to unfounded rumors, no decision has yet been made related to the permanent RRA office. The 2015 budget includes a boat fee rollback to former rates and contains no funding for a new weed harvester or new office. Dell is interested in Member comments as to whether there is interest in posting all resident letters to the Association on our website.

Maintenance Director, Dan Mullins, reported that fall clean up and winterization of equipment is occurring. Lake buoys and patrol boat have been stored for the season. Outside restrooms winterized and closed. Our workers removed 680 yds3 of material from Plum Creek for a total of 1,300 yds3 for the year. Maintenance will continue to prepare dredge staging areas for next year as weather permits.

The Lake Management Committee reported that water testing for phosphorus and dissolved oxygen continued during the month and reminded residents to watch for the “Be Lake Responsible” articles in the Shores News and e-blasts that LMC members author to limit entry of sediment and nutrients into our lake. The ‘wave heart’ logo will identify these articles.

Ed Baitt reported that the Fishing Club had placed $500 worth of perch in Flame Lake hoping to improve that fishery.

In the business segment of the meeting, Dell Rogers reported that $25,000 for a bulldozer and $1,000 for a spillway gate was approved in a previous executive session due to timeliness of the purchases. Ed Baitt’s motion to purchase a used pontoon boat trailer was tabled. A series of routine resolutions dealing with next year’s standing committees, budget, assessments, and late fees was passed.

Member comments and questions included posting letters from Members, lakefront property sales, purchase of pontoon trailer, overhead projection of detailed documents for audience to better follow, standing water in a ditch, and the boat fee rollback.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30pm. Association Board’s next meeting will be on December 4. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – Sept 2014

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on September 4, 2014 with all Directors present. Approximately 22 residents were also in attendance.

President Dell Rogers reminded us of the changed date for our next Board meeting on 10/9 and asked residents bothered by weeds to remain patient, as the new weed harvester is less efficient. Dell also requested a review of the pool heaters to determine if they need replaced. Tom Sopko reported that, unfortunately, the county’s Land Bank office cannot breakout a list of distressed properties at Roaming Shores from all distressed properties in Ashtabula, but residents interested in a particular property can call the county to check it availability. All liens on Land Bank properties are voided.

Maintence Director, Dan Mullins, reported that we finally received the permits from the Army Corps of Engineers necessary to begin our dredging project. The equipment is currently operational and is moored in Plum Creek where the maintenance crew has made a few practice runs. The staging area will need additional reinforcement. The Crosby-Cook Rd. dewatering site, designed by the Army Corps of Engineers, has be prepared by our maintenance crew and is ready-to-go. Repairs were made to a pool heater and the Skagg lawn mower in addition to installation of 140 feet of new culvert pipe.

The Lake Management committee reported that the HAB algal toxin test results sampled before the holiday weekend continue to be well under the Ohio EPA’s warning limit. The Sediment/Nutrient Control Sub-Committee’s Tim Langer, described the “backyard clean-up” campaign designed to make residents aware of things they can do to improve our lake water quality. A brochure and monthly newspaper articles are currently being planned to start the campaign.

Legal Committee Member Tom Sopko requested review of current billings from the Association’s law firm. Changes were made in the Building & Facilities Committee replacing Rick Gainar with Ron Morris and adding Jim Tatalick under Chairman Jim Swartz. The Committee continues its investigation of options available for a permanent RRA Office.

Promotion Club’s Sally Flash reviewed the month’s activities including the very successful Cardboard Boat Race and invites all to the 10/8 planning meeting and workshop to support next year’s fireworks. The Promotion Club is sponsoring an evening of music with Tom Todd on 9/19 from 7-10:00pm and hopes to see all residents and their families there. Marge Morris reminded us of the last potluck dinner (amazing chili) of the summer at the Clubhouse on 10/3, and Ed Baitt described the Fishing Club’s Annual Clam Bake on 9/14.

In the business segment of the meeting, the Board approved to again attempt lowering the lake until freeze beginning 11/1 with all Directors voting in favor except Dell Rogers.

Member comments and questions included changing the date of the annual Clean-Up Day to follow the annual Garage Sale date, rain barrel promotion, dock set-backs, state registration and lighting on dredging equipment, Board response to Member comments at meetings, sites for a new RRA Office building near the Clubhouse, and the order that coves will be dredged.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:43pm. Association Board’s next meeting will be on October 9. Hope to see you there!

Association Meeting Highlights – August 2014

by Richard D. Gainar, CEBS – Secretary RRA

The RomeRock Association Board of Directors met on August 6, 2014 with all Directors present. Approximately 20 residents were also in attendance.

President Dell Rogers remarked on how well the office move went and will now direct the Board to consider a permanent site for the RRA office. The start of our dredging project is still awaiting receipt of the permit required from the Corp of Engineers. Tom Sopko reported on the county’s progress in establishing a “land bank” designed to return tax delinquent properties to new, productive ownership and invited Members who are interested in purchasing such properties to complete the county’s application to start the process.

Rick Gainar reported that the Legal Committee is recommending that $72,500 be moved from our reserve fund to the Legal Expense account in anticipation of the Association’s defense against the lawsuit brought by Barry O’Connell, Joseph W. Petraus, Pat Long, and the members of the Neighbors For A Better Roaming Shores, Inc. In addition, the Legal Committee is currently considering the possibility of legal action applicable to the illegal act of the unauthorized selling of our old weed harvester for scrap, which had been refurbished by our maintenance staff and was near operational status.

Maintenance Director, Dan Mullins, reported that the maintenance crew is still working to clear culvert drains in addition to setting-up the dredge barges for the lake-wide dredging project. The Association’s portion of the Callender Road project is complete and now awaits the County’s work to install a drainage pipe under the road and make the sharp corner at Rome-Rock Creek Rd. safer for motorists. The pool pump at the west beach had been replaced.

The Lake Management committee reported that HAB testing on 8/5/2104 again indicated that toxins were, so far, well below levels of concern. The Sediment/Nutrient Control Sub-Committee’s Rachel Morris, described the current “simple” process her technical group developed to identify types of algae found in our lake. The process identified the algae in a recent July bloom to be predominately Spirogyra, a non-toxic, green algal common in even clean eutrophic water. Rachel invites any other residents with technical backgrounds to join the Committee.

Sally Flash described the four Promotion Club up-coming events for September including a Social for gathering of residents on 9/5 at the Clubhouse, 9/19 Music by Tom Todd (bring the family!) at the Clubhouse, Bike Ride every Monday, Promotion Club Board meeting 8/13, and a workshop to support next year’s fireworks on 10/8. Marge Morris reminded us of the 8/15 pot luck dinner (eye of round prepared by Gloria & Joe Palombi), and Ed Baitt described the Fishing Club’s Annual Clam Bake on 9/14. Doris Carver announced that the Quilting Club moved its meeting place to the Quilting Block on Rt. 45 and Callender Rd.

In the business segment of the meeting, all Directors approved the Legal Expense budget change and the Board’s October meeting change of date from 10/2 to 10/9. A discussion of whether to continue to print the annual calendar or rely on the website calendar occurred.

Member comments and questions included a suggestion to revive the new resident welcoming committee in order to get basic community information to new residents, fish testing update, sediment trap update, water testing at the dam, and space requirement for the RRA office.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30PM. Association Board’s next meeting will be on September 4. Hope to see you there!

 

E-Mail Blast Sign-Up
email-blast




View previous campaigns.

Like Us on Facebook
Roaming Shores, OH
April 23, 2018, 7:24 am
Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny
48°F
real feel: 46°F
current pressure: 30 in
humidity: 55%
wind speed: 9 mph ESE
wind gusts: 11 mph
sunrise: 6:31 am
sunset: 8:12 pm
Forecast April 23, 2018
day
Intermittent clouds
Intermittent clouds
70°F
Forecast April 24, 2018
day
Showers
Showers
56°F
Forecast April 25, 2018
day
Showers
Showers
52°F