RSPD Cardboard Boat Races
June 30, 2018
Saturday, June 30, 2018 at NOON
“THE CHALLENGE”: to design and build a person-powered corrugated cardboard boat capable of racing a 200-yard course, in Lake Roaming Rock. Boats may be powered by canoe paddles, oars, kayak paddles, approved mechanical paddlewheels, sails and raw muscle power.
- The entire boat hull and seating must be made of corrugated cardboard. Any thickness of corrugated is permissible. Corrugated bonded to other substances like vinyl, coated with wax, etc. may not be used. Plastic corrugated material, fiber board tubes, angle board, etc. may not be used in the hull construction. However, any material may be used for the superstructure, such as masts, stacks, outriggers, etc.
- The boat must be constructed with tape only, such as duct tape, cellophane tape or other. Tape must be within four inches of any seam or joint and may not wrap the entire boat. Adhesives and glues are only permissible on the seams and joints.
- Any paintable “one part” substance may be used as waterproofing. No epoxy glue, fiberglass resin, or other “two Part’ finishes. No urethane-based products or tar substances such as “Flex Seal” may be used.
- The hull cannot be wrapped in plastic or any other material.
- Mechanical devices can be made of any other material (wood, metal, plastic, etc.). Mechanical devices can not add to the reinforcement of the boat.
- ALL ENTRANTS AND CREW MUST WEAR LIFE PRESERVERS.
- Boats must be easy to enter and exit should they become an unexpected submarine and be free of sharp edges or other dangers to crew’s safety.
- Boats will be inspected for rule compliance prior to the race.
- All entries must remove their boats, or remnants of it, after the race.
- All participants must sign a “hold harmless waiver and release” prior to the race. If under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must sign the entrants release.
- Races will begin in the water with crews in the boat. One person may steady a single crew boat, and two persons may steady a multi crew boat. No push starting.
- The judges reserve the right to divide entrants into individual heats based on the number of boats registered. Total elapsed time will determine the winner.
- Boats which are deemed not to comply with the above rules will be allowed to race but will not be eligible for the timed races awards with the exception of the Most Creative Award. The judge’s decisions are final.
- Awards will be given for Fastest Boat, Most Creative Boat and for the boat that ultimately sinks in the most spectacular way.
Pre-registration for this event will begin 05-12-2018 and continue until 06-22-2018. Entries made after 06-22-2018 will have to be submitted on the morning of the race from 10:30 to 11:45 at the clubhouse.
Send your registration form and $25.00 entry fee to:
The Roaming Shores Police Department
Attention: Boat Race
2500 Hayford Road, P.O. Box 237
Roaming Shores, Ohio 44084